A cancer diagnosis is often shocking and overwhelming. Before your visit to UCLA, it can be helpful to write out a list of questions for your doctor and/or the other staff members who will be assisting you. Below are some questions you may want to consider.
- What is the name of my cancer?
- Which part of my body is affected?
- Why do I need these tests?
- What will you learn from this test?
- How accurate is this test?
- Is there any risk to the test?
- Will the result of this test make any difference to the treatment you provide?
- What are the results of the test I already had?
- Have I had this test previously? If so, why is it being repeated?
- What treatments are available for my type of cancer?
- What treatments do you recommend?
- How long will the treatment last?
- What are the possible side effects of the treatment?
- Can the side effects be prevented or controlled?
- Are the side effects temporary or permanent?
- How will this treatment affect my daily life?
- How is the treatment given?
- How does the treatment work?
- Will I receive treatment as an outpatient or be admitted to the hospital?
- Will I need someone to assist me to and from the treatment facility?
- How much will the treatment cost?
- What if this treatment does not work?
About Participating in Clinical Trials
- Would a clinical trial or investigational treatment be appropriate for me?
- What benefit is there for me?
- What are the risks?
- How does this treatment differ from traditional treatment?
- Will this treatment require more of my time than traditional treatment?
- Why are these studies important?
- What are the goals of the study?
- Do I have the right to refuse to participate in a clinical trial?
- Can I withdraw from the clinical trial at any time?
For answers to the most commonl clinical trials questions see our Clinical Trials FAQ.
- What resources are available to me and my family to assist with the stresses of cancer?
- Is there an oncology social worker or psychologist available to talk to me or my family?
- Do you have experts in nutrition and dietary supplements?
- Are there resources to coordinate complementary therapies with traditional therapies?
- Are there resources for special needs such as financial, transportation or housing concerns?
Last updated: 2/25/2010 10:29:21 AM