Guidelines for Charitable Special Events and Activities
Benefiting the Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation at UCLA
Thank you for your interest in selecting the Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation at UCLA (JCCF) as the beneficiary of your charitable event. The JCCF is a fully licensed 501(c) 3 public benefit corporation that exists for the express purpose of raising and distributing funds to support leading-edge cancer research at UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center (JCCC).
The Guidelines listed below are to assist you in the planning of your fundraising event/activity to benefit the JCCF. As a non-profit organization, our resources are limited; however, we will strive to support you and your event/activity as much as possible.
- Sponsoring Individual/Organization must submit an Application Form for Special Event/Activity to Benefit the Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation.
- All events/activities must be approved by the JCCF Special Events Office.
- Sponsoring Individual/Organization is responsible for complying with IRS regulations regarding the event/activity and charitable deductions. Visit www.irs.gov for more information.
- Sponsoring Individual/Organization must obtain all necessary permits and insurance.
- Sponsoring Individual/Organization is responsible for filing a “Notice of Intention” with the Los Angeles Police Commission, Charitable Service Section. Visit www.lapdonline.org for more information.
- The JCCF Special Events Office must review and approve the use of JCCF’s name and/or logo on all event promotional material, including but not limited to use of logo, invitations, flyers and press releases prior to printing and distribution.
- The full name of the Foundation is “Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation at UCLA” and the Foundation should be identified by full name in all materials pertaining to the event/activity. The full name of the cancer center is “UCLA’s Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center” and JCCC should be identified by full name in all materials pertaining to the event/activity if referring to this organization.
- Sponsoring Individuals/Organizations may not incorporate the name “Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation” as part of the event name, such as “XYZ/Jonsson Cancer Center Golf Tournament”, but may use a second line identifying the relationship with the Foundation, such as “XYZ Golf Tournament, benefiting the Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation at UCLA.”
- Sponsoring Individual/Organization will use own mailing list for event invitations.
- Event/Activity proceeds and an itemized list of revenue and expenses must be provided within 60 days after the conclusion of the special event/activity. Checks should be made payable to: Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation. If several checks are submitted, a spreadsheet which includes the donors' names, addresses, and amount of donation must accompany the checks.
- A JCCF staff representative may be able to attend your fundraising event/activity. Attendance of JCCF representative is based on availability and will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
- JCCF is not financially or otherwise liable for the promotion or staging of special events/activities.
What JCCF can provide:
- Once an event/activity is approved by JCCF, a letter of authority (including tax-exempt information) will be provided to event/activity organizers to use for fundraising and sponsor-recruitment efforts.
- Assistance in promoting the event/activity on the JCCF online calendar of events. Additional publicity is the sole responsibility of the Sponsoring Individual/Organization.
- JCCF logo in an electronic format. Usage of JCCF logo must be approved by the JCCF Special Events Office.
- Literature about JCCC and JCCF and promotional materials, upon availability, to distribute at event.
What JCCF cannot provide:
- Administrative and event/activity planning support which includes invitation design and distribution, compiling RSVPs, selling tickets, raising funds, recruitment of sponsors or celebrities, soliciting auction donations, providing staff/volunteers for events, etc.
- Financial support for event/activity expenses. No cost associated with the event/activity can be incurred by JCCF.
- Financial services for events/activities (e.g. bank accounts, gift processing/receipting).
- Public relations support.
- Insurance and/or liability coverage.
- Mailing lists.
The Application Form for Special Event/Activity to Benefit the Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation can also be requested by contacting the Special Events Office:
Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation at UCLA
Special Events Office
Factor Building 8-950, Box 951780
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1780
Phone: (310) 794-2089
Fax: (310) 267-0102
Last updated: 4/27/2011 11:33:25 AM