- Special recognition for Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center at Avon Walk for Breast Cancer
The AVON 39 The Walk to End Breast Cancer continued its 14th annual event series in Santa Barbara this weekend, raising $4.6 million to accelerate breast cancer research, and improve access to screening, diagnosis and treatment for people with the disease. Funds raised are distributed to local, regional and national breast cancer organizations.
September 15, 2016 10:00 AMdetail
- UCLA study finds common breast cancer test may not be worth the cost
A new study by a UCLA researcher has found that a genomic test widely used to help determine whether women with a common form of breast cancer should undergo radiation is not cost effective.
September 12, 2016 10:30 AMdetail
- UCLA Health hospitals rank No. 5 nationwide and best in California for adult cancer care in U.S. News & World Report
UCLA Health hospitals in Westwood and Santa Monica are ranked No. 5 in the nation for adult cancer care in the annual ratings issued by U.S. News & World Report.
August 01, 2016 9:01 PMdetail
- UCLA researchers report high-dose radiation therapy as effective as surgery for aggressive prostate cancer
A new study by UCLA researchers provides convincing evidence that radiation-based treatments and surgery are equally effective for aggressive prostate cancer.
August 01, 2016 10:30 AMdetail
- Cancer-fighting therapy shows promise as treatment to speed up wound healing, UCLA study finds
A type of targeted therapy that has shown promising results treating advanced melanoma could also be used to help speed up how the skin repairs itself from injury, UCLA researchers have found, providing a potential new way to accelerate healing of acute and chronic wounds.
August 01, 2016 2:00 AMdetail
- UCLA Jonsson Cancer Center researcher named George F. Solomon Professor of Psychobiology in Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology at the UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience
The Cousins Center for Psychoneuroimmunology at the UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center is proud to announce that Dr. Julienne Bower has been appointed to the George F. Solomon Professorship of Psychobiology, beginning July 1, 2016.
July 27, 2016 9:00 AMdetail
- UCLA study unlocks key mechanisms that determine acquired resistance to immunotherapy in advanced melanoma
UCLA researchers have for the first time identified mechanisms that determine how advanced melanoma can become resistant to immune checkpoint inhibitors, a discovery that could lead to the development of new and improved treatments for the deadliest type of skin cancer.
July 13, 2016 2:00 PMdetail
- UCLA researchers discover an immunotherapy combination that effectively treats advanced brain cancer in pre-clinical models
Doctors at UCLA, Cleveland Clinic, University of California San Diego School of Medicine and additional institutions have achieved a milestone in development of a treatment for people with recurrent brain cancers including glioblastoma, the most common and aggressive form of brain cancer, by successfully demonstrating a modified virus can extend the lives of patients with this deadly disease.
July 07, 2016 10:00 AMdetail